Thursday, July 30, 2009

Who loves movies?

*waves hands wildly* ME! ME! ME! And what's more, I love yammering about them!

And using exclamation points!

And cool pictures to distract you with!


Gotcha!


So yeah, this is probably Film Blog #Jillion-And-One on the internet, but hey - the more the merrier, right? Of course, the first thing you have to do whenever you start an internet endeavor is create a name for it or for yourself, and this tends to be the hardest part. It seems like no matter WHAT you decide to name yourself, someone else has gotten there first ("WTF? How can asdf;ak42sj#765dsfdks!&xyz already be taken?!"). But fortunately, after a few minutes Googling and sighing to myself over all the "cool" names being taken on all those jillion other movie blogs, I settled on Film Shuffle. This is mostly because my own taste in movies reminds me of the "Shuffle" function on my iPod, where any given day could find me bopping down the street to everything from Belinda Carlisle to Cat Stevens to renaissance motets to George Strait to the Sex Pistols.

So that's kind of what this blog is going to be like, if I have anything to say about it (and it's my blog, so why the hell shouldn't I?). A delightful mish-mash of musings on all kinds of films and film-related topics. A "shuffle" list, if you will covering everything from obscure vintage films to new films to Oscar talk to "what the crap are they remaking that movie for?!!!?" to ... you get the idea.

Mostly Hollywood films - no offense to indies and foreign films and documentaries and other "kinds" of movies, but I'm not nearly as exposed to those and find those waters of discussion more than a bit intimidating. Heck, discussion of Hollywood films can be intimidating, too, which is why I promise to do my best not to sound like one of those condescending cinephiles who act as if you're a poop-flinging baboon just because you happen to have an unironic affection for 27 Dresses. That's not to say I won't express an opinion on something I don't like, and I absolutely reserve the right to say "SEE MOAR MOVIES PLZ" which is, net-spelling and all, one of my main mottos for life. But I've seen some real jerks on film blogs who act like their tastes are the only tastes that matter, and I sincerely do not want to be one of those people.

One more thing. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about movies and the industry (despite being, for all intents and purposes, an outsider), but I would never, ever claim to know everything, or even most things, or even "a lot" (whatever that means). If something is posted here that is incorrect or ignorant, please feel free to leave a comment and let me know. Knowledge is power and it's great to learn, or so Schoolhouse Rock used to tell us, and I hope this blog will draw people who have knowledge and opinions to share with me, just as I started this blog to share with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment