Saturday, May 28, 2022

SUMMERFEST '22: Musical Double Features II

A couple of musicals with motorcycles for today. I would not have thought to put these two films together, so thanks to the Twitter user whose name I can't remember for putting it into my head.




Streets of Fire (1984) (rewatch)

Trailers: The Warriors, Slumber Party Massacre II


The plot here matters less than the style and the music. It’s wild to see Willem Dafoe this young (and this leather-clad). It also features maybe the least wimpy character I’ve ever seen Rick Moranis play. I find myself less and less interested in the doomed romance of Diane Lane and Michael Pare, though, the more I watch this. The mild dystopian elements and the all-night chase remind me a lot of The Warriors (1979), also directed by Walter Hill, which I loved. I live for this movie’s soundtrack, though, especially the two Jim Steinman songs.





Grease 2 (1982) (rewatch)

Trailers: Shock Treatment, Can’t Buy Me Love


Yep, I still prefer this to the original. The original has better songs, to be sure (though I love the songs in 2 as well), but the story here is much better, as are the gender dynamics. I love that the Sandy-equivalent Michael doesn’t change everything about himself at the 11th hour to appeal to Stephanie. He develops a skill (and a cycle) over the course of the whole film, in an effort to cultivate a shared interest between them. And he’s pretty much the same person as Cool Rider as he is as nice guy Michael. I also think this movie just looks better than its predecessor. The colors pop and it’s far less drab, and the director (having been a choreographer on the original) has a knack for filling the frame and making everything dynamic (though she almost always does so by throwing a dance number in the mix). Some of the shots are downright gorgeous (hello, motorcycle heaven!). 



No comments:

Post a Comment