Tuesday, January 4, 2022

2021 Top Ten (Categories) - #9

 9. Just Not My Jam (But Others Like Them and That's Okay)

These are the ones that I’ve seen raves about or seen on other people’s “best of 2021” lists and I’m like … really? I mean, I wouldn’t dare say any of these were bad movies, but they absolutely did not connect with me the way they clearly have with others and I have a hard time appreciating them (which is what separates these from my #5s).



Ema

This was the other Pablo Larrain film that came out this year (besides SPENCER) – in the US, at least; it’s listed as a 2019 movie, which drives me crazy. It’s never a good sign when I have to look up a plot summary to remember anything about the movie, even who was in it. Now that I've looked, I remember that Gael Garcia Bernal is in it (he was in a previous film of Larrain’s called NO, which I quite liked) and that it’s about a divorced couple who had adopted a child and ended up returning him to an orphanage. There are things to admire about this movie (the dance scenes are nice), and I do feel for the main characters, even if what they do to their adopted child seems unforgivable. But this is one of those cinematic worlds I just don’t enjoy being in. (Available to rent on most streaming platforms.)


The French Dispatch

Wes Anderson’s movies either hit with me or they don’t and this was one of the don’ts. Sometimes his style works for me but this time it didn’t, and worse, this particular style seemed to be cranked up to a higher volume than in previous movies (in my view). There’s not a ton of camera movement; the scenes are mostly still tableaus with the subtlest of movement and carefully timed awkward pauses. Sometimes he can make that interesting to me, but this one was just a miss (again, for me). Also, I’m not sure what “He received an editor’s burial” is supposed to mean, but I guess it’s hilarious and I’m just too thick to get it. I kind of hate when movies do that. (I do love every moment Tilda Swinton is on screen, though. A whole movie with her, please.) (Available to rent on most streaming platforms.)


The Many Saints of Newark

I’ve never been the biggest Sopranos fan, but I was intrigued by the idea of this as a prequel to the show and presumably an origin story for Tony. I just wish Tony was in it more, I guess. The entire movie is about the Alessandro Nivola character who (as I understand — I haven’t watched the whole series) is only ever heard about in passing on the show. Some of the casting is uncanny, though. I love that, with the casting of Vera Farmiga (who is a ringer for Edie Falco), the movie essentially says that Tony married his mother. Also, this is one of two movies this year with second generation legacy actors (Michael Gandolfini in this and Cooper Hoffman in LICORICE PIZZA) — and they have almost the exact same haircut! (Available to rent on most streaming platforms -- surprisingly not on HBO at the moment.)


Silent Night

Wow, this movie depressed me. I was very glad I did not see it *last* Christmas, which I truly considered might *be* my last Christmas. The idea of a group of friends who get together for Christmas before all of humanity is extinguished the next day is an interesting idea, and there are some good moments, but nearly everyone in the film is so thoroughly unlikable it was hard to get invested in what happened to them. There is a scene where Matthew Goode makes like half a dozen trips downstairs to the pantry to get sodas that had me seriously impatient for these characters’ impending doom. And then there’s the last few seconds, which is such a middle finger to anyone who was stupid enough to care about these people that I was glad to leave the theater. I’m sure this is some people’s cup of tea, but it was not mine. (Available to rent on most streaming platforms.)

No comments:

Post a Comment