Thursday, January 6, 2022

2021 "Top Ten" (Categories)

Two years ago, I stopped doing “top 10/20/whatever” lists and just decided to put everything from that year that I saw into 10 categories, from nope to yaaaaaassssss. I liked that idea so much I decided to do it again, so here are my TOP 10 (CATEGORIES) OF 2021 MOVIES. I saw 81 new movies this year (not including "new to me" movies, which is a whole other list), which is down from 2019's 108 but still a lot, so buckle up!

What you won’t see – I haven’t seen the new MATRIX yet (never saw REVOLUTIONS and I just generally need to revisit the whole series). Nor have I seen the new Spidey (only saw HOMECOMING because I had to for AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR, and I still haven’t seen FAR FROM HOME – there are Too Many Spideys! Don’t @ me about Batman in the 90s; those movies didn’t restart the timeline Every Dang Time).  I also have not seen a few arthouse movies I was dying to see but they came out too late in the year and I wasn’t in a place where I could see them (namely, THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH, PARALLEL MOTHERS, and CYRANO). I also haven’t seen The Lost Daughter yet, which I've heard great things about. And there are a handful of foreign films that are being held hostage for another month or so that I’m dying to see (namely, THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD).

Again, to spare you scrolling through everything, I've linked to each category below, plus listed all the films in all but the top two categories (which might be all you care about anyway), if you want to pick and choose that way.

All movies in all categories are listed in alphabetical order.

10. Thanks, I Hated It - The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, The Sadness, Wrong Turn, Mortal Kombat (2021)

9. Just Not My Jam (but Others Like them and That's Okay) - Ema, The French Dispatch, The Many Saints of Newark, Silent Night (2021)

8. Mixed Bags - Black Friday, Candyman (2021), Cry Macho, Fear Street trilogy, Framing Britney Spears, House of Gucci, No Time to Die, Psycho Goreman

7. Didn't Knock My Socks Off, but Still Pretty Good - Agnes, Black Widow, Don't Look Up!, The Eyes of Tammy Faye, The Found Footage Phenomenon, Free Guy, Gunpowder Milkshake, Let the Wrong One In, Muppets Haunted Mansion, A Quiet Place Part II, Strawberry Mansion, Wrath of Man, Yellow Dragon's Village

6. Should I Love This? - Malignant

5. I Love You, but I'm Not *in* Love with You - Antlers, Drive My Car, The Eternals, The Last Duel, Licorice Pizza, No Sudden Move, Red Rocket, The Suicide Squad

4. Delightful Surprises - Belfast, Belle, Bo Burnham: Inside, Dune, Flee, The Harder They Fall, Luca, Shiva Baby, There's Someone Inside Your House, Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched

3. Crank These Up to Eleven and Roll Down the Window! - After Blue, Benedetta, Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes, In the Heights, King Richard, New York Ninja, Nobody, Raya and the Last Dragon, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, She Will, Slumber Party Massacre (2021), Spencer, Tina

2. The Gold Standard (click link to view)

1. Behold! Cinema! (click link to view)


No comments:

Post a Comment