Wednesday, January 5, 2022

2021 Top Ten (Categories) - #6

 6. Should I Love This?

So there’s always one or two movies each year that just … defy categorization. I struggled with where to put this because while I loved the lone movie in this category, I couldn’t in good conscience put it ahead of movies that I know are great even if I didn’t fall in love with them.


Malignant

Is this movie good? LOL no. Is it amazing? Yes. I’m confident that every wacky choice in this bazonkers movie is on purpose and that James Wan knew exactly what movie he was making (not sure I can say the same about all of the cast). Usually, self aware terribleness doesn’t work (l don’t really care for the Sharknado movies and that ilk). This movie feels like an exercise for Wan – an extremely fun exercise. What would a schlocky director with B-movie sensibilities do with a massive budget and nearly limitless resources? This movie is so insane at every turn and I loved it. Nothing gave me more stupid joy in a movie this year than Gabriel’s flaily arms. (Available to rent on most streaming services.)

No comments:

Post a Comment