Tuesday, January 4, 2022

2021 Top Ten (Categories) - #10

10. Thanks, I Hated It

These movies aren’t necessarily bad (I can quite enjoy a bad movie, in fact), but they were my least favorite for various reasons.


The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

I have a lot of feelings about this franchise and its glorification of the Warrens, who I think it's clear were absolute charlatans. But the fact that this movie was set in the magical year of 1981 and that Vera Farmiga’s 1981 fashion was On Point convinced me to give it a shot. I will say that it’s maybe the least terrible(?) of the franchise. Still not a fan. (Available on HBOMax and for rent on most other streaming platforms.)


The Sadness

I liked so much about this movie, especially the twists on the zombie tropes and the amazing gore. But there is So. Much. Rape. It completely put me off the entire movie. And there is no purpose for it beyond that the filmmakers needed something really horrible, beyond the zombification, to happen to all these people. Just gross. Can’t even put this in the “mixed bag” category because the incessant rape completely blights everything good about the movie. (Not yet released.)


Wrong Turn

First off, this is not a Wrong Turn movie. There’s a trope in all the other films of how the characters get into the horrible situations, and this movie does something completely different and makes the characters far less sympathetic. Nothing wrong with that, just don’t call it Wrong Turn. I appreciated the twist, but then the movie kept going to a place I just didn’t want to follow. (Available on Showtime and for rent on most other streaming platforms.)


Mortal Kombat

I had high hopes for this one, especially as my first movie back in theaters after the lockdowns, and I guess it’s not really bad. I just strongly prefer the 1995 movie. This one takes itself far too seriously for my taste. It tries to be a serious epic most of the time, which just was never my impression of the game at all (don’t consider myself a gamer by any stretch, though I did play MK a little in my late teens).  Also, how do you have a Mortal Kombat movie and then never even get to the tournament?! (Available on HBOMax and for rent on most other streaming platforms.)

No comments:

Post a Comment